Tuesday, August 4, 2015

I'm Dreaming

I think that I should reiterate my goals for this blog. I do not write for sympathy or to complain about my problems. I love that you pray for me, care about me and connect with me, but I'm not asking for you to send me notes of sympathy. I appreciate it and am not telling you not to do it, I just want to make sure that it's clear that it is not my intention. I do not mean for this blog to be about me. Yes, I am sharing MY own experiences, but not only for my own benefit. This blog I s helping me to express my feelings, but that is a "side effect" of my cause. 
Now onto the fun!! I am currently in Wisconsin. Why am I in the land of cheese you may ask? Because I have tons of family here. I love family. It is the best thing in the world. Family does not only apply to your "blood brothers," but also to those who love you and make sacrifices for you. I don't mean sacrifice their life or jump in front of a bullet for you, but when you are lonely, hurting, depressed, or just looking for some fun, family is standing right beside you. God is a part of our family as well. God is the perfect dad. He does not overreact about your boy troubles or you not doing the dishes, but He does give you advice and love you as his baby girl or baby boy. He also sees your dreams, and works with you to make them come true. He understands your deepest fears and desires, and He supports you unconditionally in your endeavors. Every time I come to Wisconsin, I love it more. I love the random patches of woods around the crop fields. I love the picket fences and the animals, particularly the horses, behind them. I love the atmosphere of open air, the small towns where everybody knows everybody. I love that my family lives in an area that I love visiting. When I am upset, I often dream of the life I want when I'm older. I've been doing this since I was old enough to understand the concept of life. Currently, my dream is to become a doctor, form a family, retire to a horse farm, and live to see my great grandkids. Visiting the Midwest always reminds me why I love the country so much. Being here shows me how hard some people work just to put food on the table, and how they never complain about it either. People like that are people I want my kids to grow up around.
The other day, I watched a movie called "Unconditional." It was about a woman whose kindhearted husband was killed in a robbery and her steady decline after his passing. She almost committed suicide, but through the help of her childhood friend and her experiences with people who have less opportunity than her. There are many good quotes in the movie, and this one relates to my life really well, "I used to dream of telling stories, but I never dreamed that mine would end up like this." I had big dreams for my life before the migraines came along. I was going to take as many AP courses as possible, work as hard as I could, and get all A's. This sounds conceited, but that was a realistic goal for me at the time. I had many dreams, and not one of them involved migraines. I always thought that I'm the only person I know who had an opportunity taken from them because mine was the worst, but that's not true. Nobody's life ends up exactly how they wants it to, but it ends up where God wants it to. Seemingly trivial things end up making a world of difference because they are guided by God's hand. 
If you have never visited anywhere other than your hometown, I highly encourage some adventure. I'm not saying you should hop on a plane to Greece for two months, but find a place that makes you feel happy and safe, then find another. The journey to get you there will be just as important as the places you go. Here's another good quote from "Unconditional," "It ain't a dead end if it takes you where you needed to go." So I guess my headaches are taking me to a place I need to go, and God is guiding me the whole way there. The same goes for each one of you. If you see a dead end up ahead, go all the way up to it before you turn around, because that is where the beauty of life lies. 
"And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you."
1 Peter 5:10
Love always,
Sierra

No comments: