Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Process

So to sum up my shared experiences so far, in the summer before my junior year of high school, I started getting regular headaches that turned into a daily headache. I have had a headache all day every day since October of 2013. I have tried many treatments, counselors, doctors... Basically I've tried everything. I've had a six inch needle poked into my spine, been to the hospital and urgent care many times... But I haven't given up.
Part of not giving up included trying a new medicine, one not treating elevated spinal column fluid pressure, but one treating a "chronic daily headache." Miraculously, after three months of taking this medicine, I started to notice a difference. Finally something helped relieve some of the pain. I still had a headache every day, but it was becoming almost manageable. When I started taking this medicine, my doctor warned me of the possible side effects. The medicine is typically used in a higher dosage for epilepsy, so it is an intense medicine. After five months on this medicine, I saw the side effects in myself. I started having troubles focusing during school, beyond my mind that was already distracted by pain. I had troubles talking, not noticeable to most people, but I had a harder time finding my words and maintaining conversation. I lost 25 pounds. I am a small girl, always have been, so me, 5'5" tall, going from 125 pounds to 100 pounds in just a few months was a big deal. 
Naturally, we started to wean me off of the medicine. After three days of a slightly smaller dose, I got a massive headache that lasted a week. After the first three days of the massive headache, we called my doctor. Well now I was faced with a dilemma. Come off of the medicine and drop out of my AP classes, not take the AP tests I already signed up for and paid for, and go on independent study for the rest of the year. Or I could stay on the medicine, watching what I eat to try to not lose more weight, and finish out the school year, coming off of the medicine over the summer. 
I am not the type of girl to give up, so I went for the latter, giving up three weeks of my summer to have worse headaches than usual. But it was worth it. The saying, "When God closes a door, he opens a window," is proven in my life. While the medicines did not help me in the way I wished, they got me through junior year. Because of the medicine, my hard work, and the amazing cooperation of my teachers, I finished out the year with two AP classes, receiving all A's and B's for the semester. I am not bragging, I am proud. I am proud of myself for accomplishing my goals. My door was bolted shut, because I could not work or wish my headaches away, and while my window was hard to squeeze through, I made it out. God is always on your side. There have been and will come many moments in your life in which you are given a window. No matter if you can walk through it or squeeze through, God put it there to help you. He gave you the opportunity to make changes in your own life because he knows you are strong enough to handle it. 
You are strong enough to handle everything. God has complete faith in you, and so do I.
"Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus." Revelation 14:12
Love always,
Sierra

No comments: