Thursday, June 11, 2015

The First Prick

So last night I started talking about the tests I did to reach a diagnosis. Well all in all, none of the tests they did on me showed any significant problem. Some were painful, some exhausting, others easy. The first major procedure I had done was a lumbar puncture. For those of you who don’t know, a lumbar puncture is where the fluid in your spinal column is measured and tested. To do this, I got a shot of lidocaine in my lower back to numb it. The ironic thing is that the lidocaine shot hurt like hell. Luckily though it only lasted about thirty seconds then the numbing part kicked in. What happened next was fascinating to me, but may be gruesome to others, so fair warning. The doctor stuck a six inch needle into my back, penetrating in between vertebrae to reach the spinal column. They measured the pressure of the fluid while taking out a good amount of it. You’d think that this process would be bad enough on its own and that there could not possibly be any other source of pain from it. I thought this too, but I was told to rest for a few days, staying as horizontal as possible for as long as was needed. Three days later, I still couldn’t sit up long enough to eat dinner at the dinner table without feeling like my head was about to explode. After corresponding with Dr. C, she told us that I needed to come to the hospital near her. Even though we called ahead, I was stuck laying down on chairs in the waiting room for over 2 hours. I had never been in so much pain. Once I was checked in and seen by the doctors, Dr. C came by to check on me.
I would like to point out that Dr. C willingly left a fundraising dinner early to come visit me in the hospital. Most doctors would wait to see their patients until their official working hours, but not Dr. C. That is how great she is.
Well, turns out all that was needed to fix me was a few liters of fluids through an IV. Dr. C made my overnight hospital experience bearable. She personally made sure I was aware of the treatment plan and what the next step would be should the IV fluids not work.
Looking back on this experience, I am humbled by Dr. C’s earnest compassion. Anyone who has been admitted into a hospital knows how much one person can affect your stay. One person can make it the worst experience of your life. One person can also be the bright spot in a tough time. Look for that one person and appreciate what they do for you. Thank them, and strive to be like them. That is how we can truly honor those who fight for us.
“Do it…with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord.” Colossians 3:22-23
Love always,
Sierra

No comments: